Monday, June 3, 2013

Salzgitter and Castle Ruins!

             Last Friday, I arrived at a small town called Salzgitter-Lichtenberg. The hotel I am staying at is part of a Biergarten, or pub/restaurant. It is more of an upscale pub I would say, and everything is pretty clean as far as my room and bathroom is concerned. I practically have the whole upstairs to myself; however, I think that is slowly changing. I had my first German beer (first whole beer ever actually) and it was called Krombacher. It was pretty good; however, I still prefer white wine or a mixed drink. The food here thus far has been nothing short of Amazing! Portion sizes are way to big for me, though. I only have one meal at the pub every other day, and they have consisted of an appetizer, one regular meal (lesson learned), and a kids meal.
Pub/Restaurant/Hotel


Solar Panels

           I have spent most of these few days wandering around the small town, where I had the pleasure of viewing cute buildings and seeing a great view of the town below, including wind turbines and solar panels. On Sunday, I took a tour of the Lichtenberg Castle ruins. Apparently, I was the only one there for the guided tour, but a friendly biker swung by and joined me. My tour guide was a 79-year-old man who clearly loved the history behind the castle. Apparently, there was a fee to go inside the tower; however, the tour guide (Joe) buckled and let us in for free! There were many broken pots and other artifacts inside. After the tour, Joe had asked me if I had walked there. Of course, I had...getting lost along the way. So he drove me back to my pub/hotel and gave me about five pamphlets about the castle. Perhaps that was because I told him I liked history. 
          Other important news...I tour the Schimmel piano factory tomorrow in Braunschweig. AND, I am going to tea with this lovely lady named Sophie. Seems like a great day planned to me! 

History of the Lichtenberg Castle:

Lichtenberg Castle tower
          Around 1170, the construction of the Lichtenberg Castle began under the authority of Henry the Lion. It sits upon a hill, which is typical of the High Middle Ages, for defensive purposes against emperor Frederick Barbarossa. The castle apparently was on the border of two lands (Welf and non-Welf) and since Barbarossa felt threatened, he seized it in 1180. Fourteen years later, it was returned to Henry the Lion. The glory was short-lived because he died a year later. Similar incidents occurred back and forth between rulers of the Welf and non-Welf lands until finally, in 1552, the castle was blasted down with heavy cannon fire by Count Vollrad of Mansfeld. In 1892, the tower of the castle was rebuilt to be what it is today. Among the ruins, are a well (approximately 70 meters deep), a moat, and parts of the gate wall.  
Parts of the Gate Wall
Lichtenberg Castle Well





No comments:

Post a Comment