Friday, July 5, 2013

La Bayadère: Drama On-Stage and Off

Tour of the Opera House: 


          Before discussing the wonderful ballet La Bayadère, I would like to talk about the wonderful tour of the opera house beforehand. I really did think more English-speakers would be up for the tour, but apparently, I was the only one again...and my ticket was in English so they made a point to have the tour guide say some information in English for me. That is always pretty embarrassing, but I did make some jokes to the other Germans on the tour and they were very friendly by the end. And I was also the youngest person oe only one alone...I stuck out needless to say. 
Aphrodite

         The tour guide was this petite blonde who was so welcoming and kind toward me. She offered to talk with me more after the tour about the opera house, which was when I explained my odd circumstances and wonderful trip. I just wanted this lady to be my new best friend and personal tour guide for all of Dresden! 





         Fun Facts About the Opera House: So, this opera house has been burnt down several times...once occurred during the bombings of WWII. They wanted to restore the opera house again (hopefully for the last time) and make it look just how it did before. They had photographs of certain parts, such as the chandeliers, but did they really want to make the building mostly wood again? No! The walls only look like they are made of wood...when in fact they are coated with a sticky substance called beer. Yes, beer! Also, it is tradition for the opera houses in Germany to be named after a Greek god Dionysus, the god of wine and parties...very appropriate. The railings are made of marble, while the great pillars are made of plaster and imitation marble...which apparently imitation was more expensive then marble, but easier to shape. The style and architecture of the building is a blend of Italian, Renaissance, and Baroque. This blending was common in the mid-1800s, according to the guide. Famous composers' names appear all over the inside of the opera, along with other Greek gods. 

       After the tour, I had about 30 minutes to spare before the show began, so I just bought me a glass of white wine and lounged with others on the balcony...gazing over the Dresden Royal Palace and Elbe River. Magical! 



La Bayadère:

View of the Stage from My Seat
       The ballet was nothing short of amazing! I'm not much of a ballet expert, but everyone, with the exception of this one minor character that just seemed a little off for the most part, was just so perfect. At one point, the lead ballerina held an Arabesque position while moving across the entire stage. That is a true leg workout, I'm sure! The stage effects and props were also great, especially when the temple collapsed. Most important to note, was that several male dancers were just wearing a loincloth, or this one excellent dancer was just in a full-body skin-tight shimmering gold outfit. I was only six rows in front of the stage and seated in the middle, so I had an amazing view. The guy next to me, however...did not. 

       Drama: Off-Stage: To my left, was a young man, who I assume is Indian because he was dressed as one and seemed very enthusiastic about the ballet, which was set in Royal India. Well, in front of him was an even more excited young lady, who would sit up very tall and on the edge of her seat when the love of her life performed...which was the lead male dancer (Danseur Nobel). This girl must have been his all-time biggest fan. Anyway, the Indian guy asked her to sit back and she just brushed him off and said, "Nein." And Germans are very stern when they say, "Nein." I was just sitting there trying not to laugh, and could not wait for the intermission. When the first act ended, the Indian guy (who spoke fluent German, so maybe he is German but keeps hold of his Indian traditions) gave her a piece of his mind. I could only understand bits and pieces, but I'm certain he got his point across. Intense! 

     Clearly, I enjoyed myself. Couldn't have asked a more exciting evening! After the ballet, I walked to my tram stop and listened to fireworks being set off in the distance. I never saw any, but it did fulfill some July 4th wishes. I also ran into some Americans who were taking my same tram. They were from California...the other side. Always good to meet some Americans, especially when you can say "Happy Independence Day" to them. 

Cultural Similarities to Note: 
         Not sure why this didn't occur to me earlier, but Germans listen to American and English music. Currently, I am in Dresden and hearing the Dixie Chicks... Hearing my own culture's music is actually a great comfort, although I was hoping to hear the latest German pop music...turns out it's just ours! They play more of the 'good' American and English music, but I am surprised they play our country music too...I've also heard some Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash since I've been in Germany. : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment