Thursday, July 25, 2013

Men of Bayreuth, I am Not Single

Intro: 

Bayreuth
    I have spent the past five days in Bayreuth (Wagner or University city as people call it). The town is filled with Eiscafes (icecream cafes) and Wagner everything...overall, quite peaceful; however, I must have stirred up something in the men of Bayreuth. I have had some interesting encounters over the past few days that I will now share.

Number 1:
Wagner Statues in Wagner Park
      On the second day, I visited Wagner's Festspielhaus and walked around the little park. As if I weren't already a little creeped out by the many, little, purple and pink Wagner statues littering the park, I was also shouted at by a group of 10-year-olds. Being polite, when I walked by them and they said "Hallo," I responded in kind. But when they said "Halllo!" and "Hi sexy," I almost turned around to scold them. Of course, I didn't and pretended not to hear. Avoided all the children in the park after that.

Pond at Wagner Park
Number 2:
     This one really just has to deal with people trying to fix me up with their sons. At the hotel I was staying at, this older couple invited me to chat with them over several glasses of wine. We talked for a while and then all of a sudden, the woman was telling me I must stay longer so I can meet her youngest son. Oh no! Then, I explained to them about my darling boyfriend; however, the woman was very persistent. She gave me gifts, which I'm now questioning if they were bribe attempts... No thank you.
Gifts...or Bribes?

Number 3: 
      When I arrived at the second hotel in a town outside of Bayreuth, I was greeted by a kind elderly lady. But when I came down later for dinner, I discovered that a young man was helping her at the hotel. No problem. When I came to order my food, the guy just wouldn't leave me alone. Granted, he was very kind, but when someone has a book (especially when its a woman with a Jane Austen novel), they genuinely want to read it. He proceeded to give me bus schedules (very helpful), but then after that and after I said thank you, he just waited around. It was awkward and he seemed overly happy. Maybe just a jolly, hovering guy, but it was still awkward. Perhaps, I am not used to German behavior by now.
Wagner Festspielhaus

Number 4: 
     Whereas the others seem like vague encounters, this one was definite. I arrived at the main bus station of Bad Berneck around noon (for the record, I was up at 8 o'clock). This little boy was waiting on a bench. We'll call him Daniel. I sat on a different bench. Anyway, Daniel asked me where I was going, so I told him my destination and which bus I was to take. "Ich auch (I also)," he said. Then, he asked (ever so politely) if I would sit with him on the bus. Granted, he was maybe 8-years-old, so I said, "Ja (Yes)." Thank goodness him and the bus driver talked most of the way, but he was not without politeness. Once we boarded the bus, he stepped back to let me in the seat first, and even fanned me with his over-sized cat folder because of the heat. A very nice young lad, but our little bus date had to come to an end 30 minutes later, where he told me to have a nice day.
Steingraeber House

Number 5:

       Since I had several hours to kill before my Steingraeber factory tour, I parked myself at a nice cafe and had lunch...while reading my book. This guy and his parents sat at a table near to me, and I started getting this eerie feeling that someone was watching me (sixth sense!). Low and behold, the guy was directly facing me and staring. So, I just return to my book reading, blowing it off as a mere coincidence. My food comes and still I feel him watching me. I look up, he's watching. Then, I catch his mother watching me. What the heck people! So the whole time I'm eating my vegetarian pizza (one of the few German foods with green vegetables besides salad), I try to eat like a proper lady (not easy) because of  this constant staring. I should have just eaten like a slob as to gross them out, but I digress.

Steingraeber House
       A street performing violinist appears, to whom the guy gives money to and points in my direction. No, please don't send that horrible violinist over here! were my thoughts. Not all street performers are bad, but this man was without talent. Anyway, after his family finishes their meal, his parents leave. And what does this guy do but ask if he can sit at my table. Because I am not forward enough to say No, I said Yes. I try the whole "I'm sorry, I don't speak good German" act (which is mostly true) but dangit! He knows English. He asks about what I'm doing there and then persists to overly compliment me with "So you're clever because you got a scholarship, and your creative because you're a musician. What are you bad at?" I told him I have a bad memory (and will likely forget him entirely). More compliments ensue, to which I get annoyed with because this guy does not know me. I tell him I'm leaving on Saturday and then, like an arrogant person-I'd-never-date-ever, he says, "Well then we only have two days to fall in love." Of course, that was when I hurriedly had to leave, but not before he creepily caressed my arm and wished me a good day. Don't touch me! Glad to be rid of him (and thankful I did not have to lie about not having a German number). I suppose tomorrow, I will have to hide in the shadows, wear no makeup, and put on the frumpiest thing I have.

Number 6:
        After that last encounter, I just avoid men and eye contact with them like the plague for the rest of the day. The bus schedule I was given by the awkward young man at my hotel did not match the times at the bus stop. So, I went on the next bus that came and asked the bus driver (a male) if the bus went to my stop. "It will for a pretty girl," he replied. Yup, I'm done with male encounters for a while.
Favorite Steingraeber Grand Piano

      On a lighter, less annoying note, I will be home in FIVE days!

No comments:

Post a Comment