Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tata Dresden, Hello Prague!

Piano Fun: 
Piano Gäbler
        My last day in Dresden was nothing short of perfect. The weather was warm with nice breezes every now and then. I began my day visiting Piano Gäbler, where I got to play some Rachmaninoff and Bernstein on Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex, Grotrian, and August Förster grand pianos. I took notes on some of the qualities from each piano, such as the tone quality and touch of the keys. I think my favorite (for me, personally) from the bunch was the Grotrian grand! We had a great chemistry, but alas! I cannot afford any grand piano yet...maybe by age 40. I did see that Piano Gäbler offered payment plans, so maybe my future piano will be just like a car payment.
Dresden Relics:  
        After leaving the piano wonderland, I headed over to the Grösser Garten, meaning a big park, where I took a little train ride. The train went through the park and also stopped at the zoo. It was a pleasant little break. I also saw some unique architecture when stumbling upon the Volkswagen Gläserne Manufaktur! 
train ride

Volkswagen Gläserne Manufaktur
part of the park
        Next, I headed to the Altstadt (old city), where I toured the Historical Green Vault...a huge treasure chamber! There were separate fancy rooms (usually with lots of mirrors) for each material on display, like a room for bronze treasures and another for gilted silver..etc. After that, I walked around Dresden, revisiting some of my most favorite aspects of the city...listed below with pictures! 
Cafes

people in costumes

street entertainment
sculptures

Goldener Reiter


Neumarkt
Frauenkirche (Lady of our Church)
Altstadt
       While walking along the Augustusbrücke, I noticed the whole bridge was lined with emergency vehicles. At first, I just thought they were blocking off a part of the bridge from traffic, but then I saw military vehicles, ambulances, firetrucks, etc. so I asked a group of people what was going on. Apparently, there was going to be a concert along the riverbank for everyone who helped during the flood disaster. How nice! I considered staying for the concert, but it just didn't feel right. It just seemed like a personal community event. Maybe if I weren't alone, I'd feel differently, but I just wanted to let the Dresdeners celebrate. 

         One thing I will miss, is this cleverly decorated laundromat! I believe those are long-lost socks from previous customers. 


Journey to Prague:
train view
train view
           Some very lovely views on the train ride from Dresden to Prague. The ones here also include my seat-buddy's water bottle. I didn't have the nerve to ask him to move it.
              

             After arriving at Prague's main train station, I had to get Czech Koruna (the local currency) from an ATM, buy a public transportation 3-day ticket, and then find the subway. It was pretty exhausting considering there were not a lot of helpful signs or maps of the station. Luckily, the staff were helpful. After one subway transfer and aimlessly wondering in search of a street sign, I finally found where my hostel was. So now I'm here in Prague, and my lovely mom, dad, and sister are about to fly on over here for a two-week vacation! Not sure if I will have much time for blogging, but just know I'll be having an amazing time! 
new room in Prague! 
longest/steepest/fastest escalator


No comments:

Post a Comment